Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Adventure at Canigao Island

May 20, 1997.  We wake up early in the morning.  So excited to see the beautiful island of Canigao.



on the way to Canigao with my parents, relatives, and my father's friend

Canigao is an islet located in the Philippines, near the municipality of Matalom. The area is known for abundant fishing grounds and scenic coral reef areas suitable for diving.  Canigao Island is uninhabited, featuring a lighthouse as its only significant man-made structure. The beaches are white sand, with tropical sea creatures and extensive coral reef-in the surrounding waters. The climate is tropical and similar to that found in other areas of the Philippine islands. These natural features often attract tourists and scuba divers, who arrive at the island by traveling from Matalom (in the province of Leyte).
The western and northern part of Canigao island is placed under nature protection as a sanctuary. Due to this, activities such as swimming, diving, fishing, snorkeling, and boating in the protected areas are limited by law.~WIKI

Canigao Tower

my father (wearing yellow shirt) with my Kuya Doni and cousins

When we arrived on this island, I was shocked and fascinated by what we saw.  Words cannot really describe how fascinating a place this is.  All are fascinating kaleidoscope of experiences and images.




























No cottages, no canteen, and no place to stay like a hotel or a small nipa hut.  You have to bring your own food and things needed for the trip.

You can tour around the island within 30mins.  Nice view and very relaxing.  Through the  crystal clear water you could see school of fish darting and through the turquiose sea you could see small group of black and brown sea urchins, the water was so clear commencing greenish blue and dark green.

The first thing I saw when swimming was this large school of little fish 

 All of this needs to be washed and cleaned to be eaten with vinegar.


swimming with my family

We had great time together. 






We even put our drinks in the water to make it cold.


I am going back to visit this island again with my two kids.   Hearing all the news that this island transformed from a fisherman's sanctuary to a tourist destination.  

Hope to see this place with so much improvement and more surprises CANIGAO ISLAND!!!!




read this link here:  http://www.sunstar.com.ph/tacloban/feature/canigao-island-fishermen-s-sanctuary-tourist-destination 

Some photos credit to my cousin James Pal

17 comments:

  1. Loved the tower, loved the school of fish, EEEEKKK for that spiny thing ... and wow! 1997? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sis,this is my first travel outside my hometown, Davao City.

      Delete
  2. Your photos and that earlier description of this island actually had me remembering an island in Camiguin that I visited a few years back. Untouched as well, just a nipa hut for accommodating tourists. The school of fish was also just nearby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i never had the chance to visit leyte or this canigao island. I think i will include this in my itinerary during my summer getaway .. thank for this .

    ReplyDelete
  4. The place look so Pristine and really beautiful plus it has a nice lighthouse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katakot yung sea urchin pero in fairness masarap yan :) Ganda ng Lighthouse at tama it adds interest to the beautiful Island of Canigao

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still like beaches with that are not commercialized because it is more peaceful and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was way back 1997 Pal, such a wonderful place and it really looks unexplored. Was there a chance you went back to this place after 10 years, and know how it developed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Myk. Too bad I haven't revisited the place again. But I heard a lot about this place it was fully developed now, with cottages and more resort to choose from.

      Delete
  8. seems a great place to swim. Nalala ko tuloy ang mga beaches sa bayan ng dad ko. BTW is the place near Maasin, Leyte?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opo Papaleng. Magkatabi lang po ang Maasin at Matalom.

      Delete
  9. Leyte's hidden paradise... I hope that more tourists will come to this island but preserve the natural beauty of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i miss swimming in a place like this also! the beach is somewhere in batangas jus bcoz it is the nearest one in our place hehe gorgeous photos! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This island really looks beautiful. I haven't been to Leyte yet, if ever I will go there I will look for this island. I hope the natural beauty of this place has been preserve. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Canigao Island is beautiful.. looking forward for your post about it especially latest pictures of the island I am sure there were already lots of improvement.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, love those pictures! I remembered those beaches I visited in Samal Island before I went to manila. ! decade ago na din..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. these are good memories you have here... something worth treasuring. love how simple things back then... and how clean the beaches were. Yahweh bless.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

 

Rugged Route Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design