Sunday, May 6, 2012

My First Travel by Boat

I wanted to share a blog post I did earlier in my journey. I am a new blogger and I found out that my travel way back I was 21 years old should be posted here so that everyone will have an idea what is Matalom, Leyte then.  

Year 1997, my father JUAN PUSA PAL, son of Pedro Pal or better known as Indot in Matalom told me that we are going to Matalom, Leyte, my father birth land.  I am very happy to hear the good news.  It is my first time to travel by boat. 

As the sun slowly rises on the south side of Davao City on 17th May 1997, I carried my bag with my camera and we headed to Davao City Ecoland Bus Terminal. We reached the terminal and looked for our bus bound to Lipata, Surigao.  




Arch at Port of Lipata going to the Liloan Terminal in Southern Leyte.







 Guards of the Port.

Lipata is a big Port they had 3 ships from Lipata Surigao to Liloan terminal in Southern Leyte.







Stop at the Guard house before entering the port and he will record (Never forget to have a copy of the car's registration papers) the Car Registration (No fee) this is for booking at all Ferries so the shipping company will know when they have enough to pay for the trip.

Guard recording the registration of the Car/Bus.

Checking if there is a boat.

My cousin Connie went to the window and ask what time the ferry will arrive.  But sad to say all ferries are not available that time so we have to stay there for one night.  

The news that work is on schedule and the new ferry will arrive early in the morning, May 18, 1997.

Early morning we waited a bit longer.   As I stood like I was looking for someone who would give me an information about the ferry.  While waiting I have this picture of how awesome the island of MINDANAO.


Tip of Mindanao

Soon the ferry arrived at 6am and not so long I was to travel for the first time by boat.

                                   Two boys climbing on the back of the ramp of the ferry.

As loading completed we boarded the boat. I sat in front of the skipper and the others sat on the front seats.
Also boarding the boat where my cousins and uncles.

Cousin Connie and Kuya James Pal


Feel he was riding TITANIC.  

Feeling a bit homesick I took a glimpse back to Davao City  and noticed that the land of Mindanao was slowly fading away from the horizon.


Beautiful seabirds and fish entertained us as the melodious sound of the seagull reminds me that I’m in the middle of the ocean between 
Lipata, Surigao, Mindanao to Liloan, Leyte.





                                         Beautiful island at the heart of the Pacific ocean








                                        20 feet Swells in the Surigao Staits of WW II fame. 


As my eyes looked around at the attractive islands of the Pacific the engine stopped, I looked around, and then I asked the guy who sat next to me. “What’s happening?” the guy replied, “flying fish”.  



I quickly took my camera and tried to take some photos for my souvenir.

I tried to take a quality photo but the distance didn't help, so I was unlucky.





They look like shiny silver birds flying and diving about 20 to 50 feet at a time.  About 18 inches above the water between the waves.

It took us approximately 15 minutes to stop and watched the flying fish swimming and of course flying; it was my first time to see such a sea creature in my life.

The skipper started the engine and we continued our journey.  The sea was very friendly as you can see the beautiful islands lying peacefully along the horizon.  Looking at Surigao on the north and Davao in the south we continued our journey on a fine sea. 

Continuing the journey under the heat of the sun and for 5 hours travel we approached Port of Liloan, Southern Leyte.  

Liloan is a 3rd class municipality in the province of Southern Leyte, Philippines.


                                              Photo by Boningning

Again, we ride on our bus and we stopped at Maasin, Leyte (One of the oldest towns in Southern Leyte is Maasin, nowadays called Maasin City) and unloaded some goods for the people there and then continued our journey to Matalom, Leyte.



Matalom is a 4th class municipality in the province of Leyte, Philippines. It borders with Bato in the north. According to the 2000 census, it has a population of 30,216 people in 6,093 households.

It was said that the Spaniards once saw the flaming red of the fire trees that dotted the shores of Matalom Beach and the scenic Canigao Island and asked the natives the local dialect for "Hermosa" or beautiful. The natives answered "Matahum" or "Matalom." This was the origin of the town's name.

Before Ferdinand Magellan discovered the Philippines, a peaceful sea-loving people lived along the banks of the Matalom River and also on the scenic islet of Canigao (formerly Comigao).

In the middle of the 18th century, the townspeople of Matalom constructed their own parish church, convent, school, and public buildings through their own efforts. These were all accomplished with the leadership of a kind Spanish Friar, Fr. Leonardo Celes Diaz and Capitan Calixto Pil believed to be the founder and first president of the town.
Leadership in the town's administration may be divided into three regimes: Spanish, American and Postwar (Philippine Independence). The first president of Matalom during the Spanish regime was Capitan Calixto Pil. Succession to the chair of president was patterned after the original dynasty set up by the natives, by Pal and Pil families. Thus, after Kapitan "Itong" (Cpt. Calixto Pil) his son followed. Next in line was Kapitan "Osting" (Cpt. Agustin Pil) then Kapitan "Kulas" (Cpt. Nicolas Pal), then Kapitan "Bentoy" (Cpt. Ruberto Pal), the last president before the transition period from Spanish to American regimes. The council members were then called, "Guinhaupan," acknowledged leader in the settlements, now barrios or sitios.

The transition from the American regime to the time the Philippines obtained its independence saw Jeremias Pal re-elected alcalde in 1937 until the outbreak of World War II. The dark days of the Japanese occupation had Antonio Olo as the "puppet mayor". The restoration of the civil government after the war saw the appointment of Primitivo Gopo as the municipal mayor of Matalom.



About 5 in the afternoon we arrived at my father's hometown, Matalom, Leyte.  





The funny thing was that my father forget where to stop the bus. The bus stops a few miles away from my father's place.  So we need to ride again.  And that means to call for another transportation.  

We have seen so many trisikad passing by and we call them "TRISIKAD" as what we usually call here in Davao, but they never listen to us.  What seems to be the problem, I ask myself.  Hahahahaha.  One of my father's friends saw us and told him that we should call them "POTPOT". At last they heard us!!!! 


It seems like half the island has turned out to greet us. I saw Senior men and women with cigarettes dangling from their mouths.  We were greeted with my father's family, relatives and friends that lined up alongside the quay singing a welcome song and led us to the waiting community.
  
The whole place is really like one big family. Everyone knows everyone else and they all look after each other.  And they speak a little bit of Waray and Boholano.  It's difficult to understand their dialect.  I have to observed them first..  My father always had a way of explaining things so I could understand them.  

We spent our night at my Lola's house.  We spent most of it talking, eating, and laughing around.  What we eat?  We ate oven sweet potatoes, fried reef fish, mud crab, pig cooked in oven, and even cabbage salad.

It was 4 in the morning and we are still awake.  Our Lola got mad already we need to sleep or else she will make us sleep outside. Off light.    

SILENCIO.



Note: some of the pictures courtesy of Lipata Port


18 comments:

  1. This one's a long travel. The longest I was on a ship is maybe 2 hours but it's a great experience exploring the seas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't experience yet a long travel by boat, because my family is from North our travel is by Bus and would take more than 8 hours trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm never a fan of boat rides. But my first travel way back college was a success, my motion sickness didn't strike! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading your post, Now I can't recall when was my first boat travel. I should call my mom to remind me :)

    Watching the flying fish in the ocean would surely a spectacular view, hope to experience it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really hard to forget "first times" I do also had my share of riding a boat going to Manila and still up to now still vivid in my mind. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think there were only three instances when I was able to travel by boat. None were as long as yours. Would love to do that again. Hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first boat was very memorable too. :) This makes me reminds of my plan to visit Leyte next year. :) In Iloilo, we also call them trisikad. Hehe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wooh.. with this post I can say that your first travel by boat was really a very unforgettable experience..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can relate with your experience. I was born in Manila but my dad is from Liloan, Southern Leyte. I can still recall my first ship ride, Naku it took us 2 days and 3 nights to reach Liloan, sus, ang laki ng mga alon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never experience boat ride yet going.I tried small fishing boat only and that is it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that was a long boat travel. I don't take I could take 5 hours of being in a boat. I'd rather be in that long a timeframe via road. :P But of course, it was all for adventure. Glad you got to experience your father's birth place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a long travel! I am also excited to experience to travel by boat..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Exciting isn't it? Yep, I usually enjoy traveling through ferry boats and of course, the view while on the ferry is great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i am amazed at how you still vividly remember an experience which transpired 5 years ago..it must really be a memorable one..Yahweh bless

    ReplyDelete
  15. In the seas you can see eternity, another way of retreat.. I prefer traveling by the sea :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seasick. Thats the first thing I remember when you mentioned boat rides. The experience will be forever. Sabi nga nila, its not the destination but the journey. I am glad you blog your past experience. Great share.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was a long time ago yet you still recall every detail of it. Ako yata, 30 y/o na nung unang pumalaot sa barko. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  18. Among all other forms of transportation, riding a boat is what I'm a little bit scare of.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

 

Rugged Route Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design